This is formatted with the idea to post it on your garden shelf to remind yourself how to avoid skin damage from the sun!
- Iceland is nice this time of year.
- Start your day by making sure you have enough water – that you are hydrated t0 begin with. Coffee, unfortunately, doesn't count.
- Try to schedule your garden hours earlier or later in the day avoiding the hotter hours.
- If you must be outside working when it's hot, wear long sleeved shirts and long pants – the looser the better. Use cotton or linen which allow air circulation that wicks heat away from the body.
- Oily skin creams, sun blocker etc can clog the body's ability to move heat out from the skin.
- Drink plenty of water. Put some ice on your pulse points (like your wrist) – the cooled blood will circulate into your system providing more relief.
- If you’ll be outside for a really long time, wet a bandanna, place a few ice cubes down the center, diagonally, roll it up, and tie it around your neck. Even without ice, this is a smart strategy.
- Take frequent breaks in the shade! Drink water in the shade or, be like me, nap in the shade and dream of Iceland.
Happy Gardening! david